We typically think of February as the month of love. Not only is February the month to celebrate your loved ones, it is also heart-healthy month. February is a great time to focus on how to love your heart and keep it healthy.
According to the Center of Disease Control, heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States. Every 25 seconds, someone in our country will have a coronary event. I would love to share with you a few simple tips to keep your heart beating like a drum!
Keeping trim and fit is of central importance to your health. Having a healthy BMI (body mass index) will make an important contribution to lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease (among other things). For example, just losing 10% of your current weight will improve your health by 100%. Here are a few key tips about food:
- Grilling, baking, broiling, stir-frying and steaming are great ways to prepare foods.
- Use less oil in the preparation of your meal; you can substitute a low-calorie cooking spray.
- Cut back on gravy, cream and high-fat sauces.
- Trim and remove the visible fat from meat and poultry.
- Eat protein that is lower in fats like wild caught fish and organic chicken breast.
- Prepare fresh foods as opposed to prepackaged foods.
- Lower your sodium intake by using herbs, lemon juice and spices instead of salt.
- Everyone in the family should snack on fresh fruit and vegetables – like oranges, berries, apples, carrots and cucumbers- instead of chips, crackers, and pretzels.
Physical activity is HIGH on the heart-healthy tips list. Getting regular activity will improve your overall health, help you burn calories at rest and put you in a better mood! Activity helps you to control both your weight and your blood pressure, and will significantly decrease your risk of stroke and heart disease. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Walking your favorite four legged friend is an easy way to get going – and they will love you too!
- Cut your grass and clean your house to burn calories!
- Remove your dry cleaning, dust off that exercise equipment that is in your home, and get started right away.
- Make it a family affair: get out and get active together with the kids and grandkids.
- Make activities a priority and schedule them into your calendar.
- Do something fun!!!
Adding trust worthy nutritional supplements to your daily routine is essential. Look for a pharmaceutical grade supplements like Coenzyme Q10. As you age, your body naturally produces less coenzyme Q10. The benefits associated with these nutrients include sound muscle function, healthy nerve function, and good cardiovascular health. I recommend USANA’s CoQuinone 30 for your heart healthy supplement, click here to find our more or to order.
And last, but not least, take care of your heart by making sure to connect with your loved ones, to have positive, healthy relationships and to give gratitude every day. Creating a daily practice of gratitude and reflecting will fill your heart with joy. Love your heart and help it be at its best. You can’t live without it!
“It feels so sweet to have a healthy heart beat” ~ The Fresh Quotes